Saturday, December 28, 2019

It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year


Winter is here. But part of me wishes it wasn’t. Isn’t it ironic that the “most wonderful time of year” coincides with the most uncomfortable weather conditions? I’m looking forward to the holidays. The lights, decorations, and music. I love the idea of snow - it sets the tone for the season. But I loathe everything that comes along with it. Freezing cold temperatures. Hidden patches of ice. Stalled commutes with sick, sniffling people everywhere. It’s so much more difficult to get up and leave the house in the morning when you know you’ll be greeted by everything unpleasant outdoors. I miss my Summer weekends when I could prance around outside in a t-shirt and shorts. But those days are no longer.

Thanksgiving is on the horizon. I can smell the turkey and mashed potatoes. Where’s the pecan pie and cheesecake? Can’t wait to watch monster sized balloons tower over millions of people in NYC on my TV. Spend time with family and friends. Witness the mad rush of shoppers swarming the stores on Black Friday. The launch of the holiday season. The countdown to Christmas.

Winter is here. I hate the weather. It makes my life more difficult on multiple fronts. But the magic of the holidays... that’s something I live for. A wise elf once said, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” While I feel this statement is a tad bit too general - context matters, I don’t need to hear you singing loudly during my early AM commute- I support the idea behind it. The holidays come only once a year. And I, for one, could use more Christmas cheer in my life. So, belt it out. And maybe... just maybe... if the timing is right, I’ll sing along with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment