Saturday, December 7, 2019

Do What You Love

Photo by Unsplash
Do what you love. Love what you do. If I’m completely honest with myself, I dont love everything I do. Which brings up the question - must I shift my mindset to love what I do.... or shift what I’m doing, so that I can more easily love it? I think the latter.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average male in the U.S. lives to 76. Assuming my life span is average, I am 1/3 through my life. If I were to retire at the late age of 62, I have 36 more years left in the work force. 36 years feels like a long time in the work force, but I know time will fly by. And the decisions I make today will have long-lasting effects on my future.

Am I living the dream? Have I, at the very least, sought out to achieve my dream(s)? Thus far, I feel that much of my early adulthood had been about reconciling my dreams with reality. Compromising what I want with what falls into my lap. Hitting invisible walls. Recognizing limits... but always wondering if they are real or imagined. I like to repeat the fact that I am content. Content, but never completely comfortable. There’s this nagging sensation in the back of my head that I still have my work cut out for me. There’s more to be had. I am only on the precipice of what that elusive “more” is... I just need to figure out how to get there.

One of my biggest fears is that regrets will haunt me into my old age. “Follow your dreams, son. Because I did not.” I don’t want to become that man, but I fear that I may. Everyday, I make decisions. But am I doing “enough” to further my own interests? Or am I taking the easy way out... riding out the waves life sends my way? I’m all for working with the hand of cards life deals you - there is no other way - but I hope I’m playing my cards right, that I’m not folding too early. I hope that the decisions I make today are decisions I can stand by tomorrow.

When anyone asks me to look back and reminisce, I resist. I despise the idea of looking back when I see so much in front of me. Everything appears so open ended... but I also realize that the space in front of me will narrow as I grow older. If I want to accomplish anything, I need to keep my head underneath my shoulders and my priorities straight.

I am young. But I will not be young forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment