Sunday, January 8, 2023

What Do You Do For A Living?

Photo by Unsplash

Originally written December 13th, 2022


“What do you do for a living?” 

A question we all receive. One I find challenging to explain. And I know I’m not alone in this regard. 

I received this question again yet other day from an acquantance, gave an answer that I’m not quite satisfied with….

First off, I think it’s worth acknowledging why the question is asked. Or, more pointedly, how your answer will be used.

I may be projecting here- but I think the question of what you do is less about what you do and more about who you are. The job you hold is interpreted as a key aspect of your identity - with assumptions drawn on you based on the title and field you work. 

So it’s less a question of what you do than a question of what makes you tick, how do you tick, where you/ do you fit in society, and what social class you belong to.

Based on this interpretation,  regardless of your actual job, I imagine there’s great value in how one presents him/herself. It’s all about selling… marketing… personal branding. You’ve heard all  the lingo.

Nowwww where the trouble rolls in is when your job is misunderstood by outsiders, devalued, or unknown.

For example, we all know forensic science from true crime TV shows, but we know only a very specific dramatized for TV aspect of it. I’m sure an actual forensic scientist could more accurately describe their work. But at least in this example - outsiders will be familiar with a positive depiction of forensic science as “cool”.  

Then there’s work that’s inherently devalued by society. For example, I worked in fast food for years before my first desk job. When I’d mention my experience in first food when applying for desk jobs, I’d sometimes receive a condescending giggle. “Tell me how those skills are relevant…” And while I likely didn’t present the job as well as I could have, I believe I was set up for failure regardless of my answer. The job was inherently devalued. And nothing I’d say could convince the judgemental interviewer otherwise. 

Now, my current job offers a new problem. While it’s not misunderstood or devalued, few outside the field have a handle on what the work is. It’s also not especially glamorous. Very niche. Unknown. And I’ve yet to find a successful elevator pitch that captures its essence.

Let’s give the elevator pitches another try.

I make websites money.

I make websites money using the ads on the page.

Hmmm. That feels vague. Boring. Like a huge simplification, but maybe that’s it?

I could dig deeper into what I do. The technology I work with - my day-to-day. Explain how ad space is monetized. Where I fit in. And specific optimizations I’m tasked with making. However, unless the person is especially curious, all the details become a daunting case of TMI/IDC.

Sometimes, I think about other career paths. Those that are highly relevant. For instance, one of my siblings works in HVAC. The fundamentals of which is well understood. Is my heat/AC working or not working? The value of which is appreciated by all. She can apply her skillset to help family or friends outside of work.  Ensure comfortable living conditions. Meanwhile, work such as mine is irrelevant to the ordinary person who doesn’t operate their own high traffic website… a very select few to be sure…

“What do you do for a living?” I’ve heard this plenty on social media as of late: your work does not define you.  We shouldn’t let our work define us. However, people will use your work to understand you. Your industry and workplace can become a community. Most people spend a significant amount of their life working. And the line of work you’re in determines income, which can impact quality of life.

I am more than my work. But my work is also essential to who I am, what I have access to, and how I’m thought about by others. Grappling with these ideas is challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment