Wednesday, July 10, 2019

It's Difficult to Unplug...

Photo by Christopher Gower on Unsplash
It’s difficult to unplug. I crave constant stimulation. And the easiest way to accomplish this is to allow outside voices to fill my head.

When I wake up, I like to jump straight into watching YouTube videos on my phone.

On my morning commute, it’s rare that I don’t have music blaring through my headphones.

When I go for a walk at night, I enjoy checking my Facebook feed and listening to the newest episode of a podcast that I follow.

On the weekend, I spend countless hours glued to my TV playing video games on my PS4.

I never have to live with silence. So I don’t. I crowd myself in with all sorts of... things. To the point that I’m too congested inside to hear my own thoughts and forget all that the silence has to offer...

I swear... in the right circumstances, I am a composer working on a masterpiece.
Yet, it’s often so much easier to consume than it is to create.

So, sometimes, for my own sanity, I have to make a conscious effort to disconnect from all the noise around me and make my own music. Even if this means temporarily being.... bored.

It’s a continuous struggle, but worth it all. My thoughts have a weight and depth to them. They just need some time and space to grow and see the light of day. I’m loving this digital age full of endless, free entertainment at my fingertips. But I benefit a whole lot from hitting the “Off” button.

No comments:

Post a Comment