Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Chase Me

By David Taffet
Questions for you: Do you put up a chase? Do you put up a chase only when someone else is putting up a chase? In a circumstance such as that, does anything ever get resolved? #TooManyQuestions


I’m not going to chase you. I’m going to make you chase me. I’m going to make sure you really want it. Make you put in the time. Prove you deem me worthwhile. Because, most of the time, I’m incredibly insecure and awful at reading you and your intentions.

So, if you are interested, please show me that you care. Go above and beyond. Pop up in my life. Make yourself visible. Say hello. Tell me you want me. Make me believe. When I run away, follow.

Chase me down.

I spend a lot of time pretending I don’t care, but I actually care #TooMuch. I play hard to get because my heart is soft and delicate. Mushy. I’m in desperate need for something solid to cling onto. And maybe that’ll be you?

I’m not proud of it. But I often put up a chase. I’ve found that actions speak louder than words. And, with words, I find people use more discretion. People are all too cautious about hurting your feelings and remaining polite. To the point, sometimes, that the truth becomes very difficult to discern.

So, when it comes to relationships, both those romantic and not... I play a game of cat and mouse. I am the mouse. Scampering away and glancing back to see if you see follow. I want you to follow. I really do. But I’ll never ask you to. I want you to do so on your own accord.

When you chase me, you chose to chase me. And, with that, I know there’s something I have that you want. Is this some sort of warped, manipulative, sick game built to feed my ego? It is a game. But I don’t think it’s sick. Sometimes, it’s just the only way I can make sense of things.


People are confusing. Like ogres and onions, people have layers. Layers upon layers upon layers. Getting inside someone’s head is a difficult task. Especially when people won’t let you in. (I’ll be the first to admit that I refrain from letting strangers in. My guard is always up and on high alert.) While some may frame playing “hard to get” or putting up a chase as childish - it can be- I’d say that sometimes it’s 100% necessary. I’ll be as honest as I can and ask you questions straight out. But if you’re not offering me clear answers, and I’m not quite sure what I should do, the game is all I have left in my arsenal.

I don’t want to get hurt, waste my time, or look like a fool. So, if I’m interested in you, and you’re confusing me, I have no choice but to play the game and gauge your response. You may think I’ve just gone MIA, again. But I’m actually very much present. Glancing back. Watching. Trying to figure you out. I wish you’d put your answer into words. It would save us both a lot of time and me a lot of stress. But you haven’t, so I can only hope your actions will give me the answer I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment