Tuesday, November 12, 2019

A Night In The Wild


*Important questions for you at the end of this post.*

I’m enticed by the idea of spending a night out in the wild at Harriman State Park. Harriman has what they call “lean-to” shelters. Free, first come, first serve shelters scattered throughout park. I can only imagine how terrified I’d be at night trying to sleep in one, shrouded in complete darkness, hearing coyotes howling, rustling in the bushes. Feeling unidentifiable creepy crawlies on my skin...

Worse case scenario, I’m mauled by a bear. Best case scenario, I exit the park with an enhanced perspective on life, the universe, and everything. Isn’t that how it works? You step into the Wild.... it either gets the better of you or you emerge a changed man?

This trip and overnight stay can be done. On many levels, it sounds ludicrous. But that’s part of what makes it so enticing. It’s an example of “living on the edge” as I like to call it. (Is there any other way to live?)

I’ve dreamt it up. Therefore, I can make it happen. Nightmare or fantasy, only time will tell. While I’m still deliberating whether or not I should embark on this adventure... and trying to convince my friend to tag along with me, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

1. Have you wrestled a bear before?
2. What was that like?
3. Any especially effective techniques I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment