Sunday, November 4, 2018

The Problem With Bottomless: How Much Is Too Much?


Bottomless fries. Endless drinks. Unlimited wings.
Most of us understand the allure of what appears to be a money saving deal - pay one price and receive as much as you want- but how much is it that you really do want? And how much do you really need? And given the option of unlimited do you not confront the fear that you may overindulge?
One of my strongest fears in life is overindulgence... throwing myself into a bottomless pit of excesses. I'm drawn to the conclusion that I have an addictive personality... When I indulge in something, I dig in deep.
As a child, I'd overeat often. Bring me to a buffet full of deserts and goodies, and I'd inevitably eat myself sick. I’d know in my head to stop, but the delicious temptations in front of me would destroy any attempt at restraint.
But my fear of overindulgence in the present extends well beyond food and overeating. Bring me to an office cubicle, and I am prone to getting sucked into my computer monitor and a never-ending to-do list. I easily become a workaholic to the detriment of my psychological and physical health, and arguably the quality of my work. My hard work is commendable, but the excess to which I will allow it to overtake me, to the point where I am consistently skipping breaks, forgetting lunch, and staying late etc, is dangerous.
In my free time, there are moments where I isolate myself for hours bingeing Netflix episodes or playing video games. I enjoy these activities. They allow me to escape from the stress of life. But... when I allow these escapes to drag on for too long, I neglect my hygiene (icky), household responsibilities, and am left feeling groggy, unmotivated, and with sore muscles. Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing.

So how does one find that ideal balance?

I think the first step lies in assessing our past experiences. What went well? What did not? What IS the optimal outcome? It’s rarely black and white. Maybe being tipsy with friends was fun, but clutching the public restroom toilet for dear life and puking my brains out was not. Perhaps fewer drinks is the solution. Let's see how many fewer it takes.
Finding balance requires a level of experimentation. Trial and error. Sometimes, we must stumble... trip.... fall flat on our faces to find - to understand- our limits.
Of course, identifying the ideal balance is only half of the battle. Mustering within us the strength - the self-discipline- to moderate our behavior is the true test. It’s not easy, but the end result is well worth it.


Blast From The Past:
Another blog post, relevant to this discussion. Check it out here! To Live A Life of Simplicity

No comments:

Post a Comment