Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Month That Never Happened


Originally written on 3/29/2020 when New York was on lockdown during the White House's initial 14 Days to Slow the Spread campaign in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. 

Bad news. Bad news.

Everything falling apart.
The crushing weight of the world on my shoulders. Collapsing.

14 more days. 14 more days.

Where’s my sunshine escape when I need it the most?
Crawling towards the light at the end of the tunnel.

Blinded by science,
No, lies.
Dread.

Murmurs about a curve.
Apex.
Ventilators.
Tests.

I think I can, I think I can...

Holding on.
Holding off.
Everything falling apart,
Upside down,
On pause.

Need to wash my hands/Need to wipe my ass/
Need to keep my job/Need to-
(Gasp)
Breathe.

Dry cough.
Fever.
Fatigue.

Bad news. Bad news.

One rainy day blurs into the next.

March 2020.
The month that never happened.
The month that never ends.

Everything falling apart.
We’ll make it through, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment