Sunday, July 17, 2016

Waiting For My Mufasa Moment



I lie on my back with my eyes skyward. The cool night air washes over me instilling a sense of freedom and discovery. Gazing off into the expansive universe of stars above, like so many other before me, I wonder what sustenance I can gain in looking beyond myself. I seek knowledge, insight, self-affirmations, or some small tidbit of life advice. As a recent college graduate, I am at a crossroads of sorts. I aspire to find a means of financial stability, independence from my family, and most importantly personal fulfillment. But the means by which I can achieve all of these goals eludes me.

I am drawn to think of the Disney animated film Lion King and the scene where Simba’s seeks life wisdom in his star gazing and his deceased father Mufasa emerges from the stars and imparts his wisdom.

I am waiting for my own Mufasa moment.

So I look above and beyond. At a universe far off. At a myriad of stars and planets. The endless sparkling sea of navy blue above me. 

In preparation to observe and receive, I empty myself. Open myself up. Take in what I can. Inhale and exhale. Ask questions…. But where is my Mufasa moment? I wait. And wait. And wait. But…

Nothing.

I am greeted only by silence. Despite my deepest yearning for spiritual insight and enlightenment, the open sky with all its infinite wonders proves to be bare. And I am left alone and disappointed.
So I am drawn to meditate on my own heartbeat… my own wants and desires…. The immediate circumstances I find myself in. And to search these places to find answers to all my big questions. And in moments, I find small, but precious revelations.


Perhaps Mufasa did respond afterall. Perhaps Mufasa speaks through his silence. To direct me to stay grounded in who I am and in my reality and to find wisdom in myself rather than places above and beyond. So I can learn to live. Live to learn. By trial and error. And grow to be independent, self-sufficient, and thoroughly capable. 



Blast from the past:
To Live A Life of Simplicity 
"Life is like lettuce. Lettuce is crunchy. Good for you. Basic. Simplistic...." 

No comments:

Post a Comment