Monday, January 25, 2016

New Year Rant 1-8-16






For the New Year and always, I aim to learn to accept myself in the now: in the current circumstances I find myself in and who I am as a person. Of course, like all, I have desires for myself that I am motivated to fulfill. But I need to learn to love myself self even if these desires are unmet. I need to celebrate my victories and learn to love myself despite perceived flaws. This is true self-love-unconditional and unwavering.
New Year's resolutions tell us to strive for an ideal rather than learn to embrace our lives for the beautiful imperfect messes they are. They can imply that we are inadequate and REQUIRE change. That we cannot be fulfilled unless we ACHIEVE. And we are drawn to discredit the present selves we are in favor of striving for what may very well be an unobtainable fantasy.
Of course, they are not all bad. We need something that pushes us forward. We all have hopes and dreams. Setting goals helps makes this a reality and the self-discipline that comes along with goal setting allows us to exert some positive level of influence over our lives. And some parts of our lives may be toxic in that they hurt ourselves or others... and often both. These areas likely need attention, and a New Year's resolution can offer that.
But in the pursuit of resolutions, one must understand that we are not defined by the perceived flaws we are attempting to change- key word, ATTEMPTING, most New Year's resolutions fail.. And that we are beautiful even despite their existence in our lives... We can work for them to disappear, but we need to be content even if they don't. After all, in the present, our short-comings are just as much a part of us- and therefore worthy of love- as our victories. Let's not reject our present selves in the pursuit of our better future selves. Do this for yourself, if nothing more in the New Year. Take charge of your life. But love yourself every step of the way and be okay with failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment